Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Pictures say more




I’m going to let the pictures tell the stories today:

Once the computer is out, everyone wants to come watch ;)

hanging out on the swing

Learning a dance for Family Day- they love to dance


Birthday Celebration! Most girls have never gotten to celebrate their birthday here, so we got a cake and I made her a balloon crown :)

 Their modeling poses... these girls crack me up. Of course, I join in  :)

Praying before dinner:

Got to take a run up the mountain today. Yes, I am blessed to have the most beautiful runs! 

His splendor is displayed for all to see

People often just stare at me while I run by. I just smile as big as my breathing allows and say "Maayong Buntag (Good morning)." They dont have to work out here because they work so hard just in life. :)
Not caught on camera:
1.     I had my first day off on Tuesday. I tried exploring into the city of Cagayan de Oro to visit a mall and wait for it…. A STARBUCKS!!! I walked into the air conditioned Starbucks, saw that they had real brewed coffee (not the instant coffee I had come to know here), had couches (oh how I miss a good couch to sit on!), a bathroom with a mirror and toilet paper and it flushed!!!! I felt almost silly with how happy this all made me. I read my book and caught up on Internet things for hours on my day off! I also went into the mall called Limkitkai Center (which happens to be the world’s 16th largest mall). Everyone kept saying, “Hello ma’am” but their accent made it sound like “Hello mom.” I laughed to myself every time, and I even started responded to being called mom. The weirdest thing was every store I went into, a staff member of that store would follow literally a foot behind me everywhere I went in the store. I felt like I had to make conversation or something… it was awkward just avoiding eye contact with my shadow. Anyways, I headed home shortly after dark and had a taxi driver who actually spoke English. And I mean he spoke really good English!!! I got to talk faster than my Eeyore pace I have gotten used to and I used phrases!! He taught me so much about the city I am living in! Like that the Muslim protests I’ve been seeing are from the movie that was released about Islam. I didn’t realize that it was affecting the Philippines as well!  Apparently the neighborhood that I live in is considered “dangerous” from all the Muslims who live around here… who knew? I don’t feel threatened. But I did get to talk about Jesus with my taxi driver too. It was awesome just to have a good ole conversation in English.
2.     The girls here will say things like, “you are beautiful.” And I reply by telling them that they are beautiful. Then both agree that we both are beautiful because God made us. The awesome part is that some of the girls are started replying with “because we are fearfully and wonderfully made!” This is from the Psalm 139 GST I had with them the other morning!! They are fearfully and wonderfully made and all so different! J
3.     Nehemiah House operates as a home for girls who are in the middle of abuse cases in trial from what I understand. Kind of like the child protective services appoints them to live here until their case is closed. Well we had our inspection yesterday and not only did we pass, but we made it to second level (I had nooo idea what that means, but I am happy for this organization because they really do provide soo much for these girls). They teach the girls hygiene (some have never been taught to brush their teeth or wash their bodies on a regular basis), they feed the girls 3 really good meals a day, they provide schooling for the girls (some have never been to school even though they are teenagers), they teach the girls how to cook, how to keep a place and their belongings clean, teach the girls about God and what it means to be a Christian. The days can get routine, but what amazing stability and learning lessons for these girls!!!
4.     I eat ants regularly. They seem to find their way into everything (even though this house is always squeaky clean). And I have just quit fighting them, I just eat them. True story.. HA.
5.     There are 5 cockroaches that accompany me in the shower everyday. I don’t jump at them, I don’t try to kill them, I just acknowledge them and give em their space. Reminder: this house is not dirty… it’s the cleanest place I have been (right up there with Starbucks), but there are still bugs everywhere as windows and doors are always open.
6.     I woke up this morning and it was raining. The girls kept saying how cold it was. I think I was still sweating ;) It was so funny to hear them say how cold it was.

This house is filled with amazing people who have a real passion for God. God is always at work here. However, this is my first time in a house full of girls and tons of activities… and I rarely know what is going on. I have to rely in the fact that God is using me and teaching me and my purpose here is Him. I have never been surrounded by so many people and not been able to communicate with them. I decided that in moments when I don’t have a clue what is going on, instead of feeling sorry for myself, I have been memorizing some verses that remind me of God’s promises:

-“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not for destruction, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11

-“Count it all as joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness, and let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.” James 1:2-4

-“Religion pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit the orphans and the widows in their afflictions and to keep oneself unstained from the world.” James 1:27

-“And the King will answer them, ‘Truly I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these, my brothers, you did it to me.’” Matt 25:40

-“You don’t live this kind of life accidentally. You make up your mind who you want to be and daily die to the rest. You surrender yourself to living in the tension where you’ll always be stretched and often be broken. Religion pure and undefiled is grit without grime (I have some grime too though). You accept that there are easier ways to live, but you were born for nothing less.” –Not a verse but an excellent quote from a Beth Moore study J

-“The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; You hold my lot. The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance. I bless the Lord who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me. I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. Therefore, my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices, my flesh also dwells secure.” Psalm




No comments:

Post a Comment