Sunday, November 11, 2012

Yet Another Culture Shock

At church today, ate Alma asked me if I would come share at her Bible study this afternoon. For those of you who don't know me, I am not a natural teacher. But I have been praying for God to use me while I am here, and if this is how He has answered that, then I know He will be faithful to give me the wisdom and words. So I accepted.

Two hours later I am sitting in the walkway to a shack that I literally had to do the limbo to get into the doorway. All five of us sat on little plastic stools within the same 4 foot radius. The rain was coming pretty hard and her leaf-roof just wasn't holding it back, so I had my raincoat with the hood up and my Bible tucked into my lap. The pigs were right behind me so they were pretty vocal about their hunger thoughts, and there were chickens running across our feet.

I was teaching on Psalm 23. It made me laugh when I read the verse first verse.. "The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want." Well my goodness gracious, if I am going to teach this verse to this group of women in this surrounding, I sure as heck better check my heart and attitude about my wants!!!

It ended up being a wonderful Bible study. And these women really open up and share their hearts. It's so bitter sweet to heart them pour out the incredibly hard struggles they go through (like their husband's gambling the little money that they do make for food, not being able to afford health care, drinking problems, their kids running away) and yet they thank the Lord over and over.

All in all, I thought this experience was just too unique to keep to myself. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment